Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Blanket of the hearts

I found an inspiration for this blanket in photos of @stephanie_linden (fellow instagrammer).
I changed the heart motif and a layout a bit but kept the main idea :)
This is going to be a summer blanket for my adorable baby boy Oliver. I chose a very thin cotton yarn because I thought that with all the other projects I'm currently working on I'll be lucky if this one will get finished till next summer.
This is the teaser photo that I made before I started to think about possibility of picture tutorial.. right about now I have two more rows of delightful hearts :)
And here comes the scheme if you would like to make one yourself ->

and as addition for the scheme here is a picture tutorial as well.. :)

1st step 
Take a background yarn and make a chain that is as long as you want your blanket of hearts to be wide.
The trick in this is that the amount of chains must divide with 8 without balance (I am not sure it's the right term... hopefully this explains it better -> amount of chains necessary = 8x )
And crochet 1st line of double crochets as well :)

2nd step
Take the yarn you have chosen for the heart and "attach" it to the 4th stitch to the first (in this case the or odd) line of hearts (or 8th stitch if it's the even line of hearts) and make one chain stitch.

3rd step
Make the heart (3 double crochets 1 chain stitch and 3 double crochets again) in 8th stitch of the previous row (or 12th if its the even line of hearts) and 3 chain stitches. 
And then make another heart in 8th stitch and so on until you reach an end..
* the trick is that every heart is 8 stitches from the next one ;)
4th step
When you have full row of hearts, take the background yarn again and crochet over the heart - thus hiding the spare parts and making the heart look even more like a heart :)


5th step
And now crochet a boring line of double crochets with background color..
6th step
Keep on going!!! ;)

I hope that you can find in tutorial the bits and pieces I couldn't draw in the scheme and that scheme will help you if I forgot to mention something in tutorial :)

happy crafting! ;)

31 comments:

  1. Anonymous22/2/13 18:13

    How many rows did you do and how wide did your blanket end up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so far it's 86cm wide and 44cm "long" and there are 38 rows of hearts, I guess when it's finished it it will be about 88cm wide (I'm not sure jet what kind of edge I will use) and 100cm long and there will be many more rows of hearts :)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous25/2/13 08:05

    Thanks for the pattern. Can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are welcome and have fun! ;)

      Delete
  3. Anonymous8/4/13 22:55

    Fantastic pattern! It is so simple and yet so outstanding. Must try it out right away. Thanks for sharing. Marianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Marianne for kind words :)
      have fun trying it out ;)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous18/4/13 10:07

    Hello, and thank you!
    This is beautiful....I have to try! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are welcome and thank you :)
      have fun trying this out! ;)

      Delete
  5. Anonymous21/4/13 04:12

    I love this blanket. Sorry I'm anonymous but I lost my google password for the moment. My question is did you use Crochet Thread and if so where did you find such bright colors? I love the high sheen to it as well. Is that a size 7 hook or smaller? It's beautiful and I would love to try one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      The sheen is probably just from instagramm filter ...
      I use Puppets eldorado thread for the background and something else from puppets for the hearts as well. I think I use 2.5 crochet hook...
      have fun making your own blanket of the hearts! ;)

      Delete
  6. Anonymous27/4/13 20:52

    Can't wait to try this pattern. Love the hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have arthritis in my hands and cannot use cotton thread. Do you think it would work with regular weight yarn? I absolutely LOVE this pattern!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that yarn type doesn't meter, just use appropriate hook ;) so have fun trying this out!
      sorry I answer this late .. I didn't get an email announcement about a comment .. I wonder why? will try to resolve this problem later. :)

      Delete
  8. Is your pattern written down anywhere? I am having a little trouble following it :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is all there is ... I actually thought that it is simple enough to understand ... I could try to explain it a bit differently if you told me where you get lost ;)

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this pattern. Will attempt to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a question - after you make the hearts, the next row says to crochet across the hearts. what stitch am I using there? Sorry, I don't know how to read the diagrams! :-) I really LOVE this blanket! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Double crochet till the heart, then 2 chains, single crochet on top of the heart, two chains again and double crochet till next heart.
      hope this helps :)

      Delete
  12. I can not wait to try this pattern I am sure it would make a perfect baby blanket. I am in need of patterns for those. Seems to be baby season here around me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a baby season around here too :D
      happy crafting! ;)

      Delete
  13. I like this pattern, but I'm not understanding what you mean in the 2nd step.

    Take the yarn you have chosen for the heart and "attach" it to the 4th stitch to the first (in this case the or odd) line of hearts (or 8th stitch if it's the even line of hearts) and make one chain stitch. I can't read graphs at all so I am completely lost. Hope you can explain it so I understand what you mean. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you don't get the attach part then by that I mean, start crocheting with "hearts" yarn.. I just pulled the yarn through the top of the needed double crochet of the previous row and crocheted that one chain stitch through that loop.
      if you don't get what I mean with heart row - it's the row with different color yarn...
      If you don't get the part about even and odd heart rows, then .. hmm.. how to explain it properly .. there are 2 different beginning points for hearts to make them stand alternately not "on top of each other".. so If you started previous heart row in the 4th stitch then start this one on the 8th ..
      hope I made it more clear :)

      Delete
    2. That's what I don't understand either :-/ please explain this better because I also love this pattern and would love to give ita go

      Delete
  14. Do you mean to start either in the 4th St or 8th St from the beginning of the row?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This pattern is rather confusing with the way it is written, would you make a video tutorial?

      Delete
    2. I will think about that, but I don't promise anything ..

      Delete
  15. thank you so much, I now have another pattern or make.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found your pattern while looking at Juxtapost. Great pattern and a great way to use this and that. Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us SMILE Helen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ops...I find your pattern a little bit late...thank you so much for your explanation! I tried it with yarn I had at home and I used it for a project for my little daughter...
    Ivana

    ReplyDelete