Monday, August 20, 2012

light star-shaped blanket

As I was making my first star-shaped blanket for my moms birthday I was astonished by how much yarn it absorbs ... it took me loads of yarn and time to finish it.. and it is still smaller than I imagined it would be, but as I ran out of time it will have to do and instead of full size blanket this one will be just a leg wormer during winter TV watching evenings... 
I was quite disappointed and then it hit me! I should have made it lighter, and it would have been bigger! so I started a new star-shaped blanket to test my theory of the holes...


Well it is just a beginning but it is much lighter and softer and it should consume less yarn (or the same amount of yarn should produce quite a bigger blanket).

So here is the new and improved scheme for the star-shaped blanket -> 

*** Updated 15.09.2018. ;)

Written instructions:

Round 1: Magic circle. Ch 4 (counts as first dc and ch 1). *Dc in magic circle, ch 1* repeat from * to * 8 more times. Sl st in first dc. Tighten magic circle.
(10 ch, 10 dc)

Round 2:
 Sl st in first ch sp. Ch 1 (counts as sc), *Dc, ch 1, dc, ch 3, dc, ch 1, dc in next ch sp. Sc in next ch sp.* repeat from * to * 4 more times. (on last repeat instead of sc you make sl st in first sc of the round)
(25 ch, 5 sc, 20 dc)

Round 3:
 Sl st in first ch sp (2 sl sts). Ch 4 (counts as dc and ch 1). Dc, ch 1, dc, ch 3, dc, ch 1, dc in next ch sp. Ch 1, dc in next ch sp. *Dc in next ch sp, ch 1. Dc, ch 1, dc, ch 3, dc, ch 1, dc in next ch sp. Ch 1, dc in next ch sp.* repeat from * to * 3 more times. Sl st in first dc.
(35 ch, 30 dc)

Round 4:
 Sl st in first ch sp. Ch 4 (counts as dc and ch 1). Dc in next ch sp, ch 1. Dc, ch 1, dc, ch 3, dc, ch 1, dc in next ch sp. Ch 1, dc in next ch sp. Ch 1, dc in next ch sp. *Dc in next ch sp, ch 1. Dc in next ch sp, ch 1. Dc, ch 1, dc, ch 3, dc, ch 1, dc in next ch sp. Ch 1, dc in next ch sp. Ch 1, dc in next ch sp.* repeat from * to * 3 more times. Sl st in first dc.
(45 ch, 40 dc)

Round 5th and after that:

  • work only in ch spaces (only exception tor that is - sl st  .. well for obvious reasons ;D);
  • on straight lines *dc, ch 1* all the way around;
  • on inside corners skip the ch, two dc's in a row;
  • on outside corners: Dc, ch 1, dc, ch 3, dc, ch 1, dc in next ch sp.

***

and just to document the finished star-shaped blanket somewhere ...

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12/2/14 19:20

    Very nice! I think I am gonna try it for a rug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      Hope your rug is growing fast ;)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous4/10/17 07:32

    Do you have a written pattern for this- I don't know how to read the graph, Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete